Monday, March 10, 2008

The beginning

This story comes to you written by a commoner's hand. You might ask how can this commoner read and write, but I cannot answer you either. It seems it was taught to me when I was a young girl, before Mo'Lucy and Da'Ceorl received me in their home, at the age of five. Those five years are a blur in my mind, yet from them came some reading ability, and small writing skills.

You may ask, how am I writing this now, with fine handwriting and almost correctly? But this is another story. By the time my adventure began, I could read little better that at the age of five, from the few books and announcements that I could find, and my writing was maintained barely decent by an old neighbour's request - I would eventually write inventory listings for him.


Enough with the chit chat. This story began in a sunny winter day, not long after the young woman Nina had completed her 20th birthday. After a long day of deliveries, she was going back home, with her mind set on Lucy giving her extra beans that night, and a mounted messenger stopped in the middle of the market square. Our lass stood there, admiring the beautiful horse, so well taken care of, as the man announced loudly that the Count of Santoo would hand out gold for people who helped vanquishing the monsters of his region. It didn't take Nina long. Lucy told her to go and earn her living, and she went, happy to join her first journey. In her bag, just a couple of bandages, leather clothes to help protecting in battle, and a dagger.

That distant day, when I first left home, all I could think was: "I wonder if my hunting skills will be enough against those monsters?" For not a moment I thought that was journey with no coming back... Even when I visited my father, a few weeks later, I knew I could never return. My life was a new one, and he cried to learn that.

No comments: