Thursday, March 13, 2008

The first journey southwards

The day I left home was the first day I ever fought a monster by myself. Ceorl and I had pursued monsters and killed a few when they were alone, but this time, I tracked alone, and killed a small pack of them. My instincts were at my skin's surface, while my senses were sharp, and my body, tense. The time seemed to run slower, as I stabbed one of the creatures in the spine, and turned to protect myself from a lateral blow that scratched my arms, but also allowed me to reach its throat.

Monsters stink of dead flesh, especially when they cry.

This time I didn't even look for coins or items, for I was too excited, and didn't yet know they could hold such treasures. Naive, I was. Happy for having killed them, for having helped protecting the small village they were rampaging.

That day was also the day I met Geremiah, for a short time, and handed him a map to the monster's lair. He was starting a career as monster hunter, too. Shortly after, I found my way south.

Nid Tek was beautifully ornated with snow in all the extent of its green pastures. On the horizon to the west I could see the lake, partially frozen. I had a long journey ahead of me until I reached Santoo, so I spent little time exploring, and could find a small room to sleep in. A whole family shared the room with me, and their goat. With my eyes closed, I heard them mentioning the richess of Poryatu, and how their life would be great there. My home had seen better times, and I didn't think they would find any jobs during winter. At least they had the goat, that would be worth some silver.

It was a long night, with winds raging against the small shack's roof. Yet, I could rest, and woke up to another few days of cold and long journey to my goal.

A short stop in Askileon Purlieus did not show me much of the region. I could see there were small fisherman villages to the west, but the east was all fields and snow. The hunt was scarce, but I could eat a bunny. My leather clothing was not enough to keep me warm, but some farmers allowed me to sleep in their cellar.

Santoo was not a surprise. With the recent bounty offered for every monster killed, I met many adventurers seeking fame, and very little monsters in the vicinity. Even the rocky formations, know as monster hideout and hard battlefield, were hiding but a few small groups of them. The cold plains were filled with people holding all sorts of weapons, yelling and hoping for payment.

After a busy day, hunting and tracking in the snow, I went to the taverns to relax. There, I met two young men who had just started, as myself: Doctor and Brandon. Both were also frustrated that there seemed to be little work for us around, and we drank together, and shared the few maps we had. My map drawing skills were increasing slightly, by then. In not three days, we all noticed we were useless, and decided to leave. News reached our ears that the noble armies of the realm were going to a distant city, Giask, to attempt a take over. Over ale and food, we found a few people who had heard of it, from relatives or wandering merchants.


My mind travelled far to imagine the units and banners, and nobles. Mo'Lucy wouldn't be mad at me for going further if I had contact with nobility, and that was all I could think of. Getting to know one of the largest cities in the whole island, someone told us. How full of life it should be! Without much consideration, the three of us hit the road, each by its own, yet sharing the information we could. The search for the Great City. Over simple reasons started my journey further to the south. I was only hoping for monsters to fight, items to find, and a city to absorb. We don't actually have much more to long for, these days.

No comments: