Monday, March 17, 2008

Meeting in Orz

Our woman, or should I say, our wench, and now hunter, was happy to head south, that winter. Her black hair tranced and tucked under a leather cap, while she walked through a snowy trail. It could barely be called a road, but she could imagine a horse trotting his way through.

The rider would have to protect his legs from the bushes, but the horse wouldn't have much trouble with the straight floor, covered with leaves and snow. It was cold, and the night fell when she had not yet arrived to the local village, nor found any of the other hunters on the way. In the distance, our woman could see the faint light of fire, and headed towards it, straying from the path.

Not much went through her mind as she approached the fire, except that she was prepared to do anything she needed to get warmth and protection for the night. Nina was used to the impression she caused on men, and not afraid to use it on her behalf, though she wasn't actually fond of such low course of action. In those days she would still rather use her gentle voice and a smile.

Slowly, Nina approached the fire, to see an old man sitting, covered with many layers of dirty leather and even dirtier wool clothes. He lifted his blue eyes and looked deep in hers. The girl stood still, barely breathing, until he gestured her to sit. A moment later, he told her about his life, and she recognized a wise man. Eating quietly, she listened, and tried to learn. He had also started as a hunter, but slowly developed to a learner.

During the night, I sat by his side and allowed him to caress my hair, while he mentioned his long lost daughter, a beautiful blond woman that denied his existence, or while I showed him the few items I had gathered until now, to listen to his voice explaining about each of them, what I could do with them, and that if I brought him a really special item, he'd gladly fix it for me, if he was still around.

The next morning, he and I went walking together, searching the holes and nests for items, and I could not have said he was such an old man for his attitude. Even as I walked fast, he would easily walk by my side. The morning was fruitful, and I headed town to sell what I could. I kept an empty scroll case, a golden idol and a wolf's hide. The lump of wax was easily sold, but noone accepted the rest of the junk I had to sell. After a fine meal, I went monster hunting. It was easy, for there were many small groups around. At nightfall, the sage and I ate monster flesh together, and he taught me how to cook so it would be edible. Many stories were told, and I told him a little about my own life. About Lucy and Ceorl, about the faint early childhood that I can't recall, about the late childhood in Poryatu.

When I left, in the morning, he allowed me a hug. I just wished I had such a man as a grand father... And left. South awaited me, and now it was time for me to know Cadier. Orz's fishermen villages were charming, but the wind blew too cold in the plains. Hopefully the sage would be fine with his leathers, wools, and potions.

I never knew his name.

No comments: